Monday, March 4, 2013

Sari Placona

Why am I playing? Let me tell you in two words: MY GRANDMA! But she wasn't just my grandma, she was my friend.

I am 30 years old and recently lost my grandmother in August 2012.  My grandma, Miriam Bertan, more commonly known as Minnie, suffered from a form of Dementia.  Although she did not have Dementia for years, she had an onset of it for about a year.  However, of what I can tell you, the disease is AWFUL!  We found out she had a brain tumor coupled with stage 4 lung cancer.  You hear this and you instantly cry!  To watch someone you love suffer from these debilitating diseases is heart wrenching.  She wouldn’t know where she was.  She would start to ask the same questions over and over again.  She would even say some inappropriate things, which at some times were pretty funny.  In the beginning you laugh, because it probably makes you feel better than to cry, but as time goes on, you start to get sad.  How can I help this person I love?  What other things does she not remember?  But one thing she did not forget was me, along with her other five grandchildren.  

Now, I can sit here and tell you of the really sad moments when she didn’t remember what day it was, where she was, or her instantaneous mood changes, but I am choosing to focus on the positive things.  My grandma was blessed to have the most amazing husband, two marvelous daughters, two great son-in-laws, six grandchildren, and 4 great grandchildren.  I always felt so lucky to grow up with my grandparents living one mile down the road from me.  They weren’t just my grandparents, two people who you occasionally have to see here and there, they were my support.  I actually loved being around them.  I got to see my grandmother if not once a week, then several times a week.  My grandparents would always support me as a young athlete, whether it was at my soccer or softball games.  My grandmother loved to gamble, whether it was in Atlantic City or Vegas.  If there was a slot machine in site, Minnie would be there.  Although she didn’t always win at slots, I would say she was pretty lucky in life being that family is everything!

I cannot remember an exciting part of my life where my grandparents were not a part of it.  So as I sit here writing this piece about why I am playing in my first Blondes v. Brunettes fundraising game, I am sad that they are no longer with us, yet I am full of amazing memories to hold on to for a lifetime.  If I am able to be a part of something that helps to raise money and try to cure this terrible disease, I say why not?!?!  

This is my first time playing and I cannot be more proud than to play in honor of my grandma, Miriam Bertan.  I’m pretty sure my grandma, the gambler at heart, would make a bet that the Blondes are going to win!  Don’t worry grandma, my hair will be nicely combed! (She always told me to do this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment