Friday, April 12, 2013

Colleen Richards


I play for her.

Throughout my childhood, I would rush home from school or soccer practice to recap the day’s events with my loving Grandma.

After I left for college though, my childhood home lost that twinkle. I suddenly found myself returning from school to an empty house.

My Grandma, Alina Diaz, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2009. As her memory and health slowly began to deteriorate, she stopped eating, slept all day, cried and even said she didn’t want to live anymore. She was literally losing her mind. When she accused her full-time caretaker (who was also my nanny as a baby) of stealing her money, glasses, clothes, bed sheets, etc., it became clear she needed help. My family and I made the difficult decision to find my Grandma professional care. In 2010, she was moved to Chapin Nursing Home, losing her independence while I was off finding mine.

In December 2012, Grandma took a turn for the worse and I thought I was going to lose my number one fan. Luckily, Christmas miracles DO exist and her health did a complete 180. Although her memory is still spotty, she recognizes faces. She is stronger than ever! Plus, I’ve discovered that weekly visits from me, with a side of cartoons and Animal Planet, fill her heart and mind with joy!

My heart is bursting with love for my Grandma and I am very excited to be gearing up for my 2nd year with Team Brunettes (and a pick-6 or two!).Even though Team Blondes and Team Brunettes are rivals on the gridiron, together WE WILL raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Association and WE WILL find a cure for this disease!

I play for you, Grandma. And I won’t stop fighting. Mahal Kita!

No comments:

Post a Comment